12/8/08

A Ward Winning Chili

This recipe was given to me by a member of my ward who won our chili cook-off.
1 lb. hamburger
1 tsp. garlic, crushed
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped small
1 red pepper, chopped small
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped very small
salt and pepper, to taste

Brown in a large pot and drain off fat.
Then add:
3 (14 oz) cans of tomatoes, with liquid
1 can of diced green chilis

Cook on medium low for 45 minutes- 1 hour.

Then add:
4 cans of beans, with liquid (use all the same beans or a combination, such as pinto, red, kidney and black, use whatever beans your family likes)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. cumin
dash of cayanne pepper

Cook on low for an additional 1-1/2 hours or until desired thickness. Note: Omit the jalapeno pepper if you don't like heat. Add more jalapeno pepper and a 1/2 tsp. more chili powder for more heat.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I love the play on words. Was that intentional? :) I'll have to try this one.

Mindy said...

You are talking to an English grad :) Heather got the recipe - I'm not sure how it turned out for her but I made it for the BYU game and everyone loved it.

Heather said...

I've made this a few times now. After I have browned the meat and added the peppers, onion and garlic I put it into a crockpot with all of the other ingredients and let it cook on low for awhile. It's soooo easy and good. If I've added too much spice I just put sour cream in my bowl when I eat it.