2/23/11

Chickpea and Tomato Soup

This recipe and the picture are copied and pasted from "I'll Have What She's Having." A new food site that I found and am really interested in because of all the healthy recipes and beautiful pictures! I wanted to try making this soup (or stew as she calls it) but I was a little nervous. It has a lot of flavor and mixture of spices to it but it just sounded good. Verdict is - it's yummy! I halved the recipe below and used ground ginger and dry cilantro and it still was very good. Oh, and I used the forbidden sour cream instead of yogurt. 

3 garlic cloves, chopped
one 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can diced tomatoes
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
2 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves 

In a large skillet over high heat, add the oil and onions sauteing until the onions are sizzling.  Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the onions start to brown.
Add the garlic and ginger and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add the cumin, coriander, and cayenne; cook for one minute to bring the flavours out of the spices.
Add the tomatoes and simmer until thickened.
Add the chickpeas and simmer for another 10 minutes so that the chickpeas take on the flavours on the tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve topped with yogurt and cilantro over a bed of basmitti rice or with naan.

No comments: