My mom called these "Bible Bread sandwiches" when we were growing up. I find myself craving these every once in a while. Some ingredients you may not be familiar with is Vegenaise and Spike. Original Vegenaise is a healthy, non-egg mayonaise. Ingredients include: canola oil, filtered water, apple cider vinegar, brown rice syrup, soy protein, sea salt, lemon juice, and mustard flour. Spike is an all-natural seasoning and can be found at health food stores. Some of the ingredients include: toasted onion, orange powder, celery leaf powder, garlic powder, dill, kelp, sweet green and red peppers, tarragon, greek oregano, etc. I add Spike to anything that needs a little extra flavor, instead of salt.
2-3 cups of shredded green cabbage
1/2 of an avocado
1 Tbl. Vegenaise
1/2 tsp. Spike
Whole Wheat Pita Bread (about two wholes cut in half)
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
Sliced tomatoes (opt.)
Sprouts (opt.)
Combine shredded cabbage, avocado, Vegenaise, Spike, and sunflower seeds in a bowl. Mix as best you can. I like to mush it in my hands. Spoon cabbage spread into pita bread, add tomatoes and sprouts and enjoy! Or eat the cabbage mixture without pita bread, tomatoes, and sprouts.
3 comments:
Mindy,
Your recipe blog amazes me. I hate to cook. I hate to bake. I know my family would love to eat the things on this blog! I need to try some of these sometime, but alas, it overwhelms me. I will make an effort and see what happens.
Fighting the Battle of Healthy Eating (which requires more time and more mess - ugh!),
ShaLisa
Hey, I love Bible Bread Sandwiches! And my mom called them that also...I guess they may be sisters. I've introduced these to my in-laws and a few SIL's also. Everybody loves them. We eat them often and I love that I'm eating cabbage and enjoying it. I also make Fish Tacos with cabbage! Totally yummy!
You can also add olives and fresh mushrooms. Also a swiss cheese slice or other white cheese is nice. If you want to spread your pita with cream cheese that is pretty awesome too..
Post a Comment