3/23/10

Castle Cake how to

I've decided to post how I made this cake. It's for anyone interested in knowing and coming up with your own creative cake as well.
First I researched ideas on the Internet. I like going to http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/ because they show real homemade cakes that you can actually make without having any professional background.
The towers of the cake are from Pringles cans - thanks to the idea from my mother-in-law. I was going to use metal food cans which were more expensive, fatter and shorter. They would still work but I liked how the Pringles cans turned out. I frosted the cans with royal frosting. Royal frosting sets very hard and is made with egg whites. It also creates a matte finish. It's not a frosting you want to serve to people because of the risk of salmonella from the raw eggs. The tops of the towers are sugars cones, dipped in white chocolate and covered in purple sugar sprinkles that I made myself. I just put sugar and food coloring in a food processor and blended to make the sugar purple. The flags I cut out of felt and hot glued to toothpicks and put the toothpicks through the ice cream cones and secured with some frosting. I used sugar cubes for the turrets on the towers and the cake and "glued" these on with the frosting I was using. I also used a plastic bag with the end cut off to pipe the green vines climbing the towers.

Purple cake. Nope, didn't buy it this way. I bought a white cake mix and added the purple food coloring as I was mixing the ingredients in. I baked it in two 8x8 pans. I love using parchment paper so when the cake comes out, it doesn't accidentally stick to the pan and ruin the cake. The frosting is butter cream and I did a green layer in the middle and covered the cake in white. I piped "Happy Birthday" in purple. I also included some purple flowers with green leaves from various frosting tips I had on the very top. I was going to cut out the corners on the cake to place the towers "in" to but decided to just put the towers next to the cake. Also, don't forget a few little toys to add to the cake - the kids love it!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Looks so good. You did a great job. Amazing!

Lindsay said...

cute mindy!

Massey Family said...

That turned out so cute. :) Kara was sitting by me while I was reading about the cake and of course she wants that cake for her birthday. Luckily for me it doesn't sound too complicated, so... maybe she'll get one. We'll see. :)